Often engineered wood flooring
is installed as a floating floor, which means it isn't attached to the subfloor but instead sits on top so it can deal with the temperature and humidity changes which cause the wood to expand and contract. For the floor to float properly once it’s installed it requires underlay which is laid on the subfloor before installation.
Installing Underlay Over Engineered Wood Flooring
Each manufacturer will have slightly different instructions for installing underlay for their engineered wood flooring, but using this guide will ensure you are following the standard process.
- Firstly remove everything from the room where you are installing your engineered wood flooring, including all the skirting around the sides. Vacuum the entire subfloor so you have a clear space to install your flooring. If any debris is left on the floor it may cause bumps in the flooring after it has been laid.
- Roll out the underlay starting with one edge against the largest wall, and then roll along the length of the wall until you reach the other side.
- Now cut the underlay where it meets the second wall. Use a sharp knife or scissors to make the cut, ensuring that the underlay covers the entire length of the subfloor.
- Repeat this process, laying the subsequent lengths of underlay tightly to the edge of the previous layer until the entire subfloor has been covered in a single layer of underlay.
- Cut the final row of underlay tight to the wall on the opposite to side to where you started. You will now have a single layer of underlay going across the entire subfloor, which means you are ready to begin installation.
- Finally tape the edges with masking tape to stop any of the underlay from moving around before you install your engineered wood flooring.
Underlay is often the preferred option when installing engineered wood flooring as it means the planks can float on top and not be affected by any of the air temperature or humidity changes. If you are installing over a concrete subfloor you will need to glue down your flooring using a strong adhesive.
High Quality Solid & Engineered Wood Flooring From Source Wood
At Source Wood we have a huge selection of solid and engineered wood flooring
, including a diverse range of styles and finishes. We also provide a range of flooring accessories including adhesives and varnishes. We also provide next day delivery on all of our products. If you would like advice about any of our wood flooring options please contact one of our friendly team who will be happy to explain everything to you. Email email@example.com
or call 08456 021 781.